Rail Central is a proposed new strategic rail freight interchange (SRFI) in Northamptonshire. The site is located in the heart of the UK where the West Coast Main Line meets the Northampton Loop Line to the south west of Northampton and between the villages of Blisworth and Milton Malsor.
It would see the creation of a UK leading logistics and distribution capability potentially offering up to 8 million sq ft of rail-connected and rail-served space.
The rationale for this site is driven entirely by its strategic location and direct connections to key rail and road networks – Rail Central would connect into the West Coast Main Line and the Northampton Loop Line as well as into the A43 trunk route within approximately 2 miles of the M1 motorway.
In addition to supporting the national policy move for freight on rail and creating a world-class logistics and distribution facility in South Northamptonshire, Rail Central would:
- Create circa 8,000 new jobs
- Channel significant and long-term investment into South Northamptonshire
- Attract businesses for which effective supply chain management is critical to competitiveness
- Reduce overall CO2 emissions by shifting more freight from road to rail
- Underpin Northamptonshire’s position as the UK hub for logistics and support local jobs and the county’s economy
Rail Central is a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP) and is therefore being progressed through the DCO process.For more information on the project, please visit www.railcentral.com. For more information on the application and association document, please refer to "Document" page on the PINS website https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/east-midlands/rail-central-strategic-rail-freight-interchange/?ipcsection=docs